South Jersey homeowners want to maintain and enhance their homes. This means that you need to make an informed decision about who is going to perform these various tasks. While you could potentially do such work yourself, there are many professionals with skill and warranties to ensure the job is done correctly. When it comes to addressing roofing issues or general home repairs, understanding the differences between roofing contractors and handymen is crucial. Let’s look into these differences to help you decide whose service you should select for projects around your home or business.
- Roofing contractors specialize in roofing projects, including installations, replacements, repairs, and maintenance.
- Handymen are versatile professionals with a broad skill set, lacking specialized focus on roofing.
- Roofing contractors adhere to specific regulations and often hold certifications showcasing commitment to quality. Handymen are not subjected to stringent requirements and lack specialized certifications.
- For homeowners, the key decision factors are specialization, insurance coverage, and project scope.
What is a Handyman?
A handyman is a versatile professional skilled in a range of household repairs and maintenance tasks. Their expertise spans across various trades, allowing them to address issues such as plumbing, electrical work, painting, and general repairs. While some handymen may tackle basic roof repairs, their specialization is not as focused as that of roofing contractors.
What is a Roofing Contractor?
A roofing contractor is a specialized professional dedicated to roofing projects. Their expertise includes roof installations, repairs, replacements, and inspections. Roofing contractors possess in-depth knowledge of different roofing materials, systems, and structural considerations. They are often required to adhere to specific regulations and may obtain certifications from manufacturers, showcasing their commitment to quality.
What Do Handymen Do?
Handymen are jacks-of-all-trades. This means that their expertise extends to everyday household maintenance and small-scale repairs, making them valuable assets for homeowners seeking assistance with general upkeep. Here’s a more detailed exploration of the tasks handymen typically undertake:
- Plumbing Repairs: Handymen can address plumbing issues such as fixing leaky faucets, repairing minor pipe leaks, and resolving common plumbing malfunctions.
- Electrical Work: Handling minor electrical issues is within the purview of handymen. This may include replacing electrical outlets, fixing faulty switches, or addressing simple wiring problems.
- Painting and Patching: Handymen are skilled in painting and patching tasks, making them well-suited for cosmetic repairs such as fixing minor wall cracks, painting rooms, or touching up surfaces.
- Carpentry Repairs: Basic carpentry repairs, such as fixing loose cabinet doors, repairing minor wood damage, or installing shelves, fall within the capabilities of handymen.
- Door and Window Maintenance: Handymen can handle tasks related to doors and windows, such as fixing squeaky hinges, repairing minor damages, or installing weather-stripping for energy efficiency.
- Appliance Repairs: Some handymen have the expertise to address simple appliance repairs, such as fixing a malfunctioning dishwasher, replacing a faulty garbage disposal, or troubleshooting minor issues with other household appliances.
- General Home Repairs: From fixing loose tiles to addressing minor drywall repairs, handymen offer comprehensive solutions for general home repairs that fall outside the scope of specialized contractors.
What Does a Roofing Contractor Do?
Roofing contractors, on the other hand, are specialists in all things related to roofing systems. Their expertise goes beyond general maintenance and encompasses a wide range of roofing-specific tasks:
- New Roof Installations: Roofing contractors are equipped to handle the installation of entirely new roofing systems, ensuring that the structure meets both aesthetic and functional requirements.
- Roof Replacements: When a roof reaches the end of its lifespan or sustains extensive damage, roofing contractors can manage the entire replacement process, from assessing the old roof to installing a new one.
- Roof Repairs: Roofing contractors are adept at addressing various types of roof repairs, including fixing leaks, replacing damaged shingles, repairing flashing, and resolving issues related to ventilation.
- Maintenance Services: Regular maintenance is crucial for prolonging the lifespan of a roof. Roofing contractors offer maintenance services, including inspections, cleaning, and minor repairs to prevent more significant issues from arising.
- Commercial Roofing: Roofing contractors specialize in both residential and commercial projects. For commercial properties with unique roofing requirements, contractors can provide tailored solutions to meet specific needs.
- Material Expertise: Roofing contractors possess in-depth knowledge of various roofing materials, including asphalt shingles, metal, tile, and flat roofing systems. This expertise allows them to recommend and work with the most suitable materials for a particular project.
- Structural Assessments: Roofing contractors are skilled at conducting thorough structural assessments to identify potential issues and ensure the integrity of the entire roofing system.
The Differences Between Roofing Contractors & Handymen in South Jersey
When looking at when roofers and handymen do, the differences in their roles becomes more noticeable. Simply put, a roofing contractor specializes in roofing. A handyman has no specific focus and will be experienced in a variety of things.
However, the key differences between roofing contractors and handymen in New Jersey come down to three specific things:
Licensing and Certification
In South Jersey, roofing contractors often adhere to specific regulations and may hold certifications from roofing material manufacturers. These certifications highlight their commitment to quality and specialized knowledge in the roofing industry. Meanwhile, handymen are not subjected to the same stringent requirements. They may hold a general contractor license, but they do not need to showcase specialized certifications. Instead, they will emphasize their broader skill set.
Professional roofing contractors typically carry liability insurance specific to roofing projects. This insurance coverage provides added protection for both the contractor and the homeowner in the event of accidents or property damage during roofing projects. Handymen, being that they have a broader scope of expertise, will carry some liability insurance, but the coverage will differ from that of a roofer’s. If you have any questions about what their insurance covers, be sure to ask before hiring them.
Scope of Projects
Roofers primarily focus on projects related to roofing, be it residential or commercial. While some handymen may tackle basic roof repairs, their expertise may not cover complex roofing projects. This means that if you need something extensive done to your roof, it is best to hire a roofing company in New Jersey.
Contact a South Jersey Roofing Contractor Today
Navigating home repairs in South Jersey involves recognizing the unique roles of roofing contractors and handymen. For specialized roofing projects, hiring a licensed and certified roofing contractor ensures the expertise needed. Handymen, with their versatile skill set, are suitable for general household repairs but may not have the specialized knowledge required for intricate roofing tasks. By understanding these differences, you can make a well-informed decision tailored to your specific needs.
When you need roofing services, choose one of the top-rated South Jersey roofing contractors around—RGB Construction. Our experienced team can tackle a variety of roofing projects. Get in touch with us today by calling 856-264-9093 or by filling out the contact form.