A smart homeowner is someone who knows how to protect their investment. Although you trust the manufacturer of your windows to make quality items, having a warranty on those products can help you sleep easier at night. Marvin Windows has long been regarded as one of the top names in the industry, and they have a competitive warranty to which other brands cannot compare.
Most Marvin windows come with a lifetime warranty. But depending on which product line your windows come from, your Marvin Windows may have a limited warranty rather than a full lifetime warranty.
Which Marvin Windows Come With a Limited Warranty?
There are three collections from Marvin that come with a Limited Warranty. This includes Marvin Signature, Marvin Essential, and Marvin Elevate windows and exterior doors. The warranty covers the products from the purchase date when bought from an authorized dealer. The limited warranty can be transferred in the event you sell your house during the warranty period.
Limited Warranty Guarantees
If you have purchased Signature, Essential, or Elevate windows from a Marvin-authorized dealer, then your products do not come with a lifetime warranty—only a limited warranty. Whether you have chosen the budget-friendly option or the more luxurious one, the warranty remains the same. You may be able to purchase supplemental plans when purchasing the windows from the dealer if you do not think the limited warranty covers everything.
Still, since the average lifespan of residential windows is anywhere between 15-30 years, the terms of the limited warranty will cover most of your window’s lifespan.
Here are the terms of the limited warranty:
- Glass components must be factory-installed or have Marvin glass installed by authorized personnel. Insulating panes with stainless steel spacers are protected against seal failures as a result of defects from manufacturing for 20 years.
- Non-tempered glass panes are guaranteed against stress cracking resulting from defects for 10 years.
- Non-glass components and hardware are warranted for manufacturing defects for 10 years.
- Hardware made from stainless steel, Coastal Hardware finishes, or physical vapor deposition (PVD) finishes are protected from deterioration for 10 years. Other finishes are not warranted when installed in coastal environments.
- Aluminum cladding is warranted for 10 years against abnormal deterioration (including flaking, peeling, and blistering).
- Interior finishes and stains on wood frames are guaranteed to be free of defects for 5 years.
- Interior aluminum finishes have a warranty of 20 years. Anodized aluminum only has 5 years, however.
Which Marvin Windows Have a Lifetime Warranty?
Marvin Windows offers another line called Infinity by Marvin. The line is made up solely of replacement windows. Infinity windows are made with Ultrex fiberglass, which is more resilient than traditional wood and vinyl windows. Unlike Marvin’s other product lines, Infinity replacement windows come with the Infinity Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Anyone who is considered the “owner-occupant” of a single-family home who has purchased their Infinity windows from an authorized retailer of Marvin or Infinity windows will be entitled to the Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Marvin Lifetime Warranty Guarantees
Infinity windows come with Marvin’s Built For Life® guarantee, meaning that the products are constructed to last for the entire time you reside at your home.
How can a lifetime warranty be “limited,” you ask? Let’s look at the terms and conditions of the warranty and dig a bit deeper:
- According to Marvin, the warranty for Infinity windows includes terms from both the Lifetime Warranty and 10/20 Limited Warranty (described above).
- Infinity windows with Ultrex fiberglass installed are guaranteed to be free from manufacturing defects (for both the fiberglass and non-glass components) for as long as the person who purchase the windows owns and occupies the home.
- Hardware for coastal applications, glass, and finishes are not covered by the lifetime warranty, only by the 10/20 Limited Warranty.
- Standard insulating glass is guaranteed for 20 years, starting on the original date of purchase. Any other kind of glass will be provided by the supplier, so you will have to contact Infinity for details.
- In the event you sell your home, the warranty is transferred to the new owner. However, they only receive the 10/20 Limited Warranty, which is fully transferable.
Exclusive Remedy Clause
Written within the Lifetime Warranty is something called the Exclusive Remedy. This means that, should a manufacturing defect be discovered, it must be reported within the applicable period to be honored. Infinity receives the final say in how they deal with the defect. This means that they may opt to either repair or replace the entire product or just the components.
Infinity will not pay for the removal/disposal, installation, shipping, finishing, or refinishing costs needed to fix the problem. Infinity will work to get you original parts, but there is also no guarantee that you will receive original replacement parts.
Any replacement parts you receive are given the remainder of time for the original product warranty. So, if a crack or something forms in the insulating glass in 5 years from the time you made the purchase, the new glass is guaranteed for the remaining 15 years.
Making a Warranty Claim
If you are wondering how to make a claim about your Marvin windows, then the first step is to contact the retailer who sold you the windows. They should be familiar with you or the purchase. Also, retain the serial numbers that are found on the Marvin or Infinity products, since you will need that for your warranty claim.
So, does Marvin provide their customers with a lifetime warranty? Not really. Product lines directly under the Marvin brand name—Signature, Essential, and Elevate—are only covered by their 10/20 Limited Warranty. Infinity by Marvin does have a Lifetime Warranty, but it is limited only to the Ultrex fiberglass and Infinity non-glass components for that collection. Otherwise, everything falls under the 10/20 Limited Warranty.
Recently purchased Marvin windows and have more questions about warranties? Want to compare other brands and their warranties? Why not give us a call? RGB Construction is happy to answer your questions. You can also fill out the contact form to get in touch.