Matching a roof color with your siding is more than just finding a color that will compliment not only your siding, as the process is part of discovering colors that will go with the rest of your home as well. Finding the right roofing material color in today’s world of design can be a challenge, as there is such a diverse selection of colors, but with a few ideas your roof can be matched with your siding.
Selecting a Roof Color
Staying with the basics is the rule of thumb when it comes to selecting a roof color that will coordinate with your home’s siding. Fundamentals of design can help you decide, and some of the following ideas are part of what works:
- Color Impact – There are colors that can create a finished look for your home. As an example, lighter exterior siding colors used on both the exterior siding and roofing of smaller homes can make them appear larger and more expansive. In addition, lighter colors enhance stark architectural features that need softening and highlighting. More medium toned colors that are harmonious and in good taste integrate well with most any style of home, and its structural features. More dramatic effects can be achieved through utilizing a darker, yet refined roof color, as darker colors in more natural tones, attuned to nature, can make a strong statement while creating balance to the exterior of a home.
- Intermediate or Neutral Blends – An intermediate or neutral colored roof blends well with most any home style or siding color. Colors such as gray, tan, brown, cream and black, and variations of them, go well with most exterior siding colors and home styles. Those same neutrals can be made darker or lighter, which will depend on the exterior color of a home. For example, when you think of a home with lighter gray siding, a dimensional shingle roof in a darker gray just might give the entire home a finished and polished look.
- Unnecessary Exact Matching – Exact matching is not a necessity with siding and roofing colors. Using complimentary colors is usually better and more easily attained than trying to match the exterior of a home from top to bottom. Staying within a color family is also a good idea with both exterior siding and roof colors. The roof color can simply be a darker version within the same color range. It is also advisable to stick with either cool or warm color types. If the siding on your home is in cool colors, such as blues and greens, choose a similar cool color for a roof match.
- Harmony – When matching siding and roof color, you want to make sure that any of the features of your home’s exterior blend well with the colors you have chosen. If there are structural features, brick or stone facades, wood trim, shutters or other decorative embellishments, their accent to a house should be considered when matching siding and roof color.
- Trends – With the modern look of today’s homes, siding can be found in a range of colors as well as patterns of brick, stone and wood. Many more contemporary homes are magnified and intensified with roofs in black and varying tones of gray. Even white and metal roof colors that embrace energy efficiency and coolness can create a contemporary look while saving on utility costs.
Matching your roof with your siding doesn’t have to be a complicated process and with the ideas presented here, and through color specialists, you can find the exact match you need to compliment both your roof and siding. If you need further information on color matching, complete the online contact form and a specialist will get back to you with the answers you need to choose the colors that suit you and your home.