Spending money on roofing repairs or a replacement is bound to make you nervous. You want to get your money’s worth, but you also worry about overspending. The good news is that choosing the right roofing company in Delaware is easy when you know how to choose correctly. After all, a poor choice may mean cheaper materials or getting scammed out of your investment. Today, we are bringing you some tips that will make selecting a roofing company from a list of candidates hassle-free.
Ask Friends and Family For Referrals
Word of mouth is an extremely powerful tool. Ask friends, family, and colleagues for recommendations on roofing companies they have used in the past. Personal referrals can provide valuable insights into the quality of a company’s work and customer service. For instance, your colleagues may have had a personal experience with a roofing contractor and can give you completely honest feedback on the quality of their work and level of professionalism.
Whether your friends, family, or coworkers had a positive or negative experience, it is possible that the same could happen to you. As such, they can help steer you towards businesses to call and those to stay away from. Furthermore, your friends and family can provide you with an idea of the price terms and timeline.
Check Online Reviews
Checking online reviews can be a helpful step in finding a reputable roofing contractor in Delaware. This is because online reviews can give you an idea of the experiences other customers have had with the company. By reading reviews, you can learn about the quality of the company’s workmanship, customer service, and reliability.
In addition, reading online reviews can help you get a sense of the company’s overall reputation. If a roofing contractor has consistently positive reviews, it may be a good sign that they are trustworthy and reliable. On the other hand, if a contractor has many negative reviews, it may be a red flag that they are not a good choice.
It’s important to keep in mind that online reviews should not be the only factor you consider when hiring a roofing contractor. While they can be helpful tools, they may not always be completely reliable or accurate. It’s a good idea to read a variety of reviews from different sources, including online review sites and the company’s own website. Additionally, you should also consider other factors, such as the contractor’s credentials, experience, and references, before making a final decision.
Do Some Independent Research
Listening to others will start you off on the right foot, but it is also important to make up your own mind. Ultimately, you should have a list of several roofing companies in Delaware that you would like to call. From there, it is up to you to narrow down those you think best. The first step is to verify that the business has a website if you haven’t already. Next, double-check their contact information. Look to see if they are on the Better Business Bureau (and if there are any complaints). Then start looking at their before and after pictures, history, blogs, and other information.
Along the lines of establishing their legitimacy and learning some things about the business from their website, you can also use their digital presence to verify their expertise and credentials. Look on the website to see if the contractor is licensed and insured in Delaware. Licenses and insurance—liability and worker’s compensation—are vital. Having a valid license in the state where the business is operating shows that the business has met or exceeded certain standards. Furthermore, it proves that the contractor has undergone a series of background checks and proof of identity. You know you are working with a legitimate roofing contractor in Delaware when they have a license.
The next thing to research is whether the business is insured. You never want to select a business that is not properly ensured, especially when they have personnel who will be doing the dangerous job of working on your home’s roof. Should anything happen to the workers while doing their job when there is no insurance, you may be liable for those medical fees. Any damages or injuries may result in legal issues, like costly lawsuits. So, give yourself some peace of mind and choose the licensed and insured roofing company in Delaware.
Get Multiple Estimates
So you have narrowed down the number of candidates. Now it is time to see what they offer you in terms of cost, payment terms, and the scope of work. You want to have multiple written estimates in hand for the following reasons:
- Cost Comparison: When you get multiple estimates, you can compare the costs of the services offered by different roofing companies. This allows you to choose the one that fits your budget best and ensures that you are not overpaying for the services you require.
- Scope of work: By obtaining multiple estimates, you can compare the scope of work outlined by each contractor. This helps you identify any discrepancies or areas where one contractor may be providing more or less than another.
- Customer service: Obtaining multiple estimates also provides an opportunity to assess the customer service provided by each roofing contractor. You can gauge their professionalism, responsiveness, and communication skills, which are all important factors in ensuring a successful project.
In terms of cost comparison, remember that, while your budget is important, you should never go for the cheapest option. For example, the average cost of a new roof is around $9,000. You can use a cost calculator to see how the size and shape of your roof impact the price. If the contractor goes too low or too high with their estimate, it may mean that something is wrong. Select the contractor who is in the middle. From there, look for the one who is most flexible, and who displays professionalism. You should be able to hold a conversation with them. Lastly, consider their experience, certifications, and references.
You may think that interviewing roofing companies in Delaware before hiring them would be a waste of time. However, an honest and open conversation with someone can tell you a lot about the business they run. Here are some reasons why you should either schedule a call or meet the contractor face-to-face before selecting them for the job:
- To assess their experience and expertise: An interview allows you to ask questions about the contractor’s experience and expertise. You can ask about their training, certifications, and previous projects. This information will help you determine whether they have the necessary skills and knowledge to handle your roofing project.
- To discuss your specific needs: During an interview, you can discuss your specific roofing needs with the contractor. You can ask them about the best roofing materials for your home or business, the estimated timeline for the project, and any potential challenges they foresee. This will give you a better understanding of how the contractor plans to approach your project and whether they are a good fit for your needs.
- To gauge their communication skills: Communication is essential when working with a roofing contractor. You want to choose someone who is easy to communicate with and who will keep you updated throughout the project. During the interview, you can assess the contractor’s communication skills and determine whether they are a good fit for your communication style.
- To evaluate their professionalism: An interview is an opportunity to evaluate the contractor’s professionalism. You can assess their demeanor, appearance, and attitude. A professional contractor will be punctual, well-groomed, and respectful.
- To establish expectations: During the interview, you can establish expectations for the project. You can discuss the timeline, budget, and any specific requirements you have. This will help ensure that everyone is on the same page and that there are no surprises during the project.
Ask The Right Questions
At RGB Construction, we love receiving questions from our potential and returning clients. Here are some questions that you should ask before hiring a roofing contractor in Delaware:
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Do you use roofing subcontractors?
- Who is the main contact for my project?
- Can I find reviews or testimonials anywhere on your site or online?
- Do I need a building permit for this particular job? If so, will you, the contractor, do that for me?
- How do you avoid going over budget?
- Does the cost in the estimate include the materials?
- What percentage of jobs do you begin and end within the projected time frame?
- How long does this kind of project usually take?
- Will you inspect my roof and let me know if any additional repairs are needed before your job?
- Has your team trained for this specific kind of roof (or material)?
- What happens during unforeseen inclement weather?
- How do you protect your workers?
- What is your installation process?
Of course, there are many other questions you can ask. These are some of the few to help guide your conversation and ensure you have all the answers you need. Keep in mind that a professional roofing contractor will be more than happy to respond to these questions to the best of their ability. If the representative speaking to you is brusque or does not provide completely honest or understandable responses, that business may not be the right choice.
Get Everything in Writing
You already know the importance of getting written estimates from each of the candidates. Now let’s talk about what those written estimates should entail. No matter the scope of the project, a written estimate should always list everything plainly, so you can see if there are any costs you did not know about. Written estimates will also contain timelines and discuss the plan of action. These details are important because if any issue were to arise, you can refer to the estimate to ensure that the job you asked for is the job you get.
Once you have decided on a roofing contractor in Delaware to use, make sure every proceeding agreement is also given to you on paper. Whatever you sign, you should have a copy in hand. This will keep the contractor true to their word, but if they are reputable and transparent, you shouldn’t have to worry!
Go With Your Gut
Sometimes, it really does pay to tune into what you feel. If something does not feel right or sounds too good to be true, your instinct is not wrong. It is best to look for another contractor should something like this happen. There are plenty of scammers out there who would take your money and run. A reputable roofing company would never pressure you to do something that you do not want. They will also listen to your concerns and answer your questions to the best of their ability without making you feel anything negative.
Looking For The Best Roofing Contractor in Delaware?
There are many roofing companies in Delaware, but only one is going to be the one for your roofing project. In the same way that a roof is necessary for your house to be a home, a reputable roofer is essential to the quality of your roof repairs, replacement, or other projects. Now that you have read through the ultimate guide, utilize the steps and tips to your advantage. Or you could skip the search and call RGB Construction. With prestigious accreditation like GAF Master Elite, years of experience, and hundreds of satisfied customers, you can’t go wrong. We guarantee our work with a comprehensive warranty and make roofing all the more affordable with financing options. Ready to receive your no-obligation consultation? Get in touch with us today by calling or filling out the contact form.